Driver fined $42,000 after mowing down two persons on Eastwood Park in St Andrew

November 14, 2019

The men who were charged in relation to an incident in which two pedestrians were mowed down on Eastwood Park Road, St. Andrew on Wednesday, October 23 appeared before the Traffic Court on Tuesday, November 12.

Chad Ingram, the driver who lost control of a car that nearly killed two persons in Half-Way Tree, St Andrew on October 23, has been fined a total of $42,000 for his actions. In addition, Ingram has been slapped with 14 demerit points on his drivers licences.

The fines were imposed when he appeared before the Traffic Court on Tuesday. Ingram pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and was fined $20,000 and 14 demerit points. He was fined $2,000 for having no PPV insurance coverage; $10,000 for operating contrary to the terms of his driver’s licence; $5,000 for leaving the scene of the accident; and $5,000 for failing to report an accident.

It is unclear if Ingram's driver's licence will be suspended. Section 59 of the old Road Traffic Act stipulates that a motorist who accumulates between 10 and 13 points should be disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver's licence for six months.

It also provides a one-year suspension for those who have accumulated between 14 and 19 points and a two-year suspension for drivers with more than 20 points.

A new Road Traffic Act has been passed by parliament but aspects of that legislation have not yet been implemented.

Meanwhile, George Malcolm, the employed driver, who was charged with aiding and abetting the offences pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was granted bail in the sum of $300,000 and is scheduled to return to court on January 15, next year.

The Eastwood Park Road incident attracted national attention after videos of the out-of-control vehicle veering off the road, on to the side walk, and hitting two persons, went viral.

"It happened so fast. The only thing I could do was jump on the car, like I was starring in a movie," Princess Studdart, one of the victims said.

Rushane Aaron, the other victim, sustained fractured ribs, bruises to his body and a cut to his head.

"I was coming from Molynes Road, all of a sudden mi just feel something hit and mi nuh know weh happen afta dat," he said.